Visa Takes a Shot at Financial Goals with New Football Video Game
• Visa launches new global version of the Financial Football game, bringing entertainment and financial education in an action-packed virtual game to sports fans
• For the first time, the game will feature a small business owner mode with questions on managing a business as well as the choice to select between your favorite men’s or women’s football team
With FIFA World Cup™ excitement heating up, Visa (NYSE: V), the Official Payment Technology Partner of FIFA, invites football fans to sharpen their financial skills on the virtual pitch with the new version of the educational video game, Financial Football, will be available soon on iOS and Android mobile app stores in Hong Kong. Gamers can suit up as the football team of their choice and take their best shot at the coveted trophy by correctly answering questions designed to help players make smart, well informed money management decisions.
To further Visa’s commitment to uplift lives through the power of sport and the global platform of FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™, Visa is working in collaboration with clients and non-profit organizations in over 100 markets globally to make the new version of Financial Football available to as many people as possible. With less than half (47%) of Hong Kong adults reported to set long-term financial goals1, Visa understands the critical need to foster financial literacy early to ensure a stronger relationship with financial health starting at an early age through to adulthood.
“Access to financial education to gain knowledge is critical to help individuals succeed in an increasingly digital world,” said Maaike Steinebach, General Manager, Hong Kong and Macau, Visa. “Visa is proud to bring the power of its partnership with FIFA to the global stage of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ to provide a fun and engaging way for individuals and small businesses across Hong Kong to build upon their financial education journey.”
New Financial Football Game Features
The free educational game challenges players to answer money management questions at various levels of difficulty to advance down the pitch for a chance to score a goal. New features include:
- Men’s and women’s teams and tournaments: Players can now choose between men’s and women’s teams to participate in global tournaments, including the upcoming FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ and FIFA Women’s World Cup Australia & New Zealand 2023™.
- Personal finance and small business game modes: For the first time, the game will include a second mode for small business owners that features questions on starting and managing a business, budgeting and more. With entrepreneurship and startups continuing to grow in Hong Kong, additional education on critical business subjects is important to entrepreneurs’ growth. The personal finance track will feature questions on topics like crypto currencies and the wise use of credit.
- Available on-the-go: In addition to online at financialsoccer.com, players can soon download the game for free via the iOS and Android app store to play on their mobile phones and tablet devices.
- Multiple languages: Gameplay is available in English, Spanish or Arabic, with more languages coming soon including Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, Italian, German, Russian and Portuguese.
Leaving a Lasting Impact for the Community
Visa understands the value of financial education to the Hong Kong community, and its power to create opportunities for upward mobility and a better life for all. In Hong Kong, Visa has been developing financial literacy programs through various initiatives to help youths and individuals understand the importance of financial knowledge, and make informed financial decisions:
- Hong Kong Financial Literacy Championship: The Visa-sponsored Hong Kong Financial Literacy Championship has been running in collaboration with Hong Kong Monetary Authority and Education Bureau for eight years, and has become a citywide competition for secondary students. To date, the Championship, aims at equipping students with the practical money management skills and knowledge, has attracted over 70,000 participants from 387 schools accounting for 85% of secondary schools in Hong Kong.
- Public NFT Education Workshops: As part of the NEXXCREATE Digital Entertainment FEST 2022, Visa co-organized over 60 NFT education workshops across Hong Kong with the goal to empower the wider public to garner a deeper understanding and make more informed decisions when it comes to digital assets. Open to public and free of charge, these workshops saw over 600 participants, including individuals and school groups.
To learn more about Visa’s financial education resources provided for free, please visit Practical Money Skills. The Practical Money Skills website is tailored to people of all ages and has become a useful online resource for educators, parents and students focusing on financial education. People can brush up their knowledge on basic credit, debt, budgeting and saving concepts through calculators and interactive games, and acquire valuable financial tips.
1 The Hong Kong Investor and Financial Education Council conducted quantitative research to gauge the financial literacy levels of Hong Kong people. Data was collected through face-to-face interviews with 1,075 Hong Kong adults aged 18 to 79 years during the period from September 24 to November 15, 2021.
About Visa Inc.
Visa (NYSE: V) is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere and see access as foundational to the future of money movement. Learn more at Visa.com.